Allan draws on his expansive and diverse academic and practical experience in solving his clients’ legal problems. His broad civil litigation practice includes corporate and commercial litigation, class actions, professional responsibility matters, defamation, public law and cases involving incorporated societies.
These diverse experiences have sharpened his effective and tactical methods of persuasion, allowing him to find the best possible legal solution for his clients. Allan regularly appears before the British Columbia Supreme Court and Court of Appeal, and has also appeared before the Federal Court and the Supreme Court of Canada.
Prior to practicing law, Allan was a judicial law clerk for Justices of the British Columbia Court of Appeal. While at Dalhousie Law School, he received numerous academic prizes and scholarships. Allan was also a graduate student at Simon Fraser University where he published an award winning paper on Alexander Pope and mythology. His hobbies include cycling and craft beer tasting.
Allan is currently the Secretary of the CBA Administrative Law subsection, and sits on the board of directors of Instruments Beyond Borders, a local charitable organization which provides musical instruments and financial support to disadvantaged youth.
- Significant Cases
- Counsel for Steve Nash’s holding company in a successful appeal overturning dismissal of a claim filed by Mr. Nash’s former counsel: B & L Holdings Inc. v. SNFW Fitness BC Ltd., 2018 BCCA 221.
- Counsel for a number of British Columbia small and boutique wineries intervening at the Supreme Court of Canada in a landmark constitutional case governing the interprovincial shipping of alcohol: R. v. Comeau, 2018 SCC 15.
- Counsel in a successful application to stay complex claims in breach of contract, conspiracy and misappropriation of confidential information that were brought in both British Columbia and Missouri on the basis that Missouri was the more appropriate forum to deal with the dispute: Quanta Services, Inc. v. Rokstad Power Corporation, 2017 BCSC 1858;
- Counsel in a significant appeal which successfully overturned a finding of misfeasance in public office against a social worker made following a 146-day trial: J.P. v. B.G., 2017 BCCA 308;
- Counsel in successfully representing 69 leaseholders on Indian Reserve lands in the Federal Court of Canada (Trial Division) in a multi-million dollar claim involving the interpretation of rent review clauses contained in long term lease agreements: Hodgson v. Musqueam Indian Band, 2017 FC 509.
- Counsel in successfully resisting an application to certify a class action proceeding and obtaining an order striking the entirety of the plaintiffs’ claims: Lee v. Transamerica Life Canada, 2017 BCSC 843.
- Counsel in a successful application for security for costs against both a company and an individual in a complex commercial dispute: Tresoro Mining Corporation v. Mercer Gold Corp. (B.C.), 2015 BCSC 1822.
- Counsel in a successful professional disciplinary hearing: In the Matter of Ian James Foreman, P. Geo, August 25th, 2015.
- Counsel in a successful petition involving incorporated Societies including resulting in a new election at a Sikh Temple: Sandhu v. Khalsa Diwan Society, 2015 BCSC 1749, and a new election at a Hindu Temple: Bector v. Vedic Hindu Cultural Society, 2014 BCSC 230.
- Counsel in successfully defending a defamation claim on the defence of qualified privilege on a summary trial application: Vedic Hindu Cultural Society v. Joshi, 2014 BCSC 1070.
- Counsel in successfully opposing a novel constitutional injunction application involving a dispute over use of school property: Conseil Scolaire Francophone de la Colombie-Britannique v. British Columbia (Education), 2013 BCSC 1242.
- Counsel in successful criminal sentence submission: R. v. Russell, 2013 BCSC 697.
- “Deceit, Desire and The Dunciad: Mimetic Theory and Alexander Pope.” Contagion 17, Michigan State University Press, 2010
- Honours and Awards
- Schulich Scholarship in Law, for academic excellence and community service
- George Isaac Smith Memorial Award, for most promise of achieving exemplary standards of professional and public service, Dalhousie University
- William Outhit Prize in Administrative Law
- Maritime Book Law Company Prize in Professional Responsibility
- Alistair Fraser Scholarship, Dalhousie University
- Borden Ladner Gervais LLP Research Fellowship, Dalhousie University
- R. St. John Macdonald Prize in Public International Law
- Bennett Jones LLP Prize in Intellectual Property II
- C.W. Sperry Memorial Prize in Property Law
- Raymund Schwager Award, for best graduate student paper at the Colloquium on Violence & Religion, University of California, Riverside
- Graduate Fellowship, Simon Fraser University