Arpal Dosanjh embraces his role as trusted advisor to his clients. As counsel, Arpal looks at each of his clients individually to create unique and strategic road maps that lead to success. His extensive court experience in wide ranging legal matters has helped foster his creative approach in finding solutions.
Arpal has advocated for his clients in all the courts of British Columbia and Alberta. He was a law clerk for the Chief Justice, the Associate Chief Justice and four other justices of the Supreme Court of British Columbia and has gained insight into the workings of the judiciary.
Outside the office, Arpal enjoys outdoor pursuits. He especially enjoys playing basketball and strategy board games.
- Significant Cases
Counsel for party successfully advocating that requirements for legal contractual assignment must be strictly met: Buhecha v. Impact Imaging Ltd., 2019 BCSC 663.
Court confirms that defence delay can prevent dismissal of an action for want of prosecution: Transamerica Life Canada v. Oakwood Associates Advisory Group Ltd., 2019 ABCA 276; 2018 ABQB 320.
Summary dismissal unavailable in Alberta where court unable to make findings of fact without live testimony: Price-Goulet v. Transamerica Life Canada, 2017 ABCA 156.
- Successfully resisted an application to certify a class action proceeding and obtained an order striking the entirety of the plaintiffs’ claims: Lee v. Transamerica Life Canada, 2017 BCSC 843.
- Successful dismissal of some claims in advance of certification of proposed class action: Lee v. Transamerica Life Canada, 2016 BCSC 191.
- Successfully defended a jurisdiction appeal in a claim of false imprisonment: Huang v. Silvercorp Metals Inc., 2016 BCCA 100.
- Counsel for daughter in successfully challenging jurisdiction of British Columbia courts in a claim against her in a family law case: Lantzius v. Lantzius, 2015 BCSC 2066.
- Counsel in a case holding that British Columbia courts did not have jurisdiction over a family law case: Aleong v. Aleong, 2013 BCSC 1428.
- Counsel for a union in obtaining judgment to recover money received when misappropriated funds were deposited into a bank account held in joint names: International Longshore & Warehouse Union Local 502 v. Ford, 2016 BCCA 226; International Longshore & Warehouse Union Local 502 v. Ford, 2014 BCSC 867.
- Counsel for a religious society in successful defence of a membership enrolment process: Basra v. Shri Guru Ravidass Sabha (Vancouver), 2017 BCSC 1696.
- Counsel for members of a religious society in Alberta who were successful in rectifying oppressive conduct of the controlling group of the society: Sandhu v. Siri Guru Nanak Gurdwara of Alberta, 2015 ABCA 101; Sandhu v. Siri Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdwara of Alberta, 2013 ABQB 646.
- Trial regarding damages for loss of use of Ferrari: Miller v. Brian Ross Motorsports Corp., 2015 BCSC 1381.
- Counsel for a union that obtained judgment in fraud against its former treasurer for stealing $1.69 million: International Longshore & Warehouse Union Local 502 v. Ford, 2014 BCSC 65.
- Counsel in successful defence of claim involving cancelled life insurance coverage: Gish v. Hooper Insurance and Financial Services Inc., BCCA, 2011 BCAA 232; Gish v. Hooper Insurance and Financial Services Inc., BCSC, 2010 BCSC 605.
- Acted for a life insurance company in successfully defending a $5 million death benefit claim: Community Credit Union v. Transamerica Life Canada, 2009 ABQB 704.
- Counsel for a young boy in successful claim against the provincial government for the negligence of probation officers: D.H. (Guardian ad litem of) v. British Columbia, 2008 BCCA 222; D.H., J.H. & E.H. v. Kline et al, 2006 BCSC 1903.
- Counsel for a mining company in a dispute with land owners: Absorbent Products Ltd. v. 623819 B.C. Ltd., 2007 BCSC 298.
- Regularly act for landlords and tenants in commercial leasing disputes, including through to arbitration.
- Memberships and Community
- Canadian Bar Association (2005 to present)
- Vancouver Bar Association (2005 to present)
- Advocates’ Club (2010 to 2015)
- Roster member, Lawyer Referral Service now operated by Access Pro Bono (2007 to present)
- Director, Modo Cooperative – a car sharing service (2014 to present)
- Publications and Presentations
- PPI Solutions BC Fall Symposium (September 21, 2018) – Presenter of “Litigation tripping up advisors”
- Pacific Business & Law Institute Program on Commercial Leasing: Managing risk from Start to Finish (March 9, 2018): Presenter of “Managing Litigation Risk”
- British Columbia Business Disputes (2016): contributing author to damages chapter